Danny's Sensible Suggestions
Revised from the American Cancer Society's article
mile by mile, it's a trial
yard by yard, it's hard
but hey! inch by inch, it's a cinch
Remember: If you get into the woods a
mile, it will take you the same time to get out! DON'T DESPAIR
TEN WAYS TO MANAGE STRESS
[Instructions: Refer to this list in times of stress; see if you can
use one or more of these reminders, or select others that work for you.]
Choose How to Spend Your Time/Energy
- set priorities; Danny says don't sweat the small stuff!
- take time out when needed
Build Your Strength and Endurance
- exercise, physical activity
- good nutrition
Create a Supportive Environment
- go online, seek out support groups
- Danny says, "No one lives in your head rent-free; evict unproductive
- get rid of clutter
- surround yourself with what you like-- art, music, furnishings
Learn to Relax at Will
- deep breathing
- massage, warm baths, back rubs
- progressive relaxation
Manage Your "Self-Talk"
- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
- choose to think positively
- translate worry into action
- mentally rehearse positive outcomes to stressful situations
- learn to turn off the inner critic
Learn to Laugh
- look for the humorous side of situations; easy does it!
- seek out sources of humor-- books, movies, people
Practice Saying "No"
- let someone else do it
- save your strength for the really important things
Ask for Help
- you don't have to do it all yourself
- when in doubt, delegate! "give away" some problems and tasks
- to the small, daily pleasures of life
- to the present, fleeting moment; live for today as Jesus said (Matt.
Take the Long View
- how important will this crisis be one year from now?
- what were you worried about one year ago?
- what is really important to you?
Are You Agitated?